Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Salt of the Earth

“Let me tell you why  you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness  You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage. Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven." Matthew 5:13-15, Message Paraphrase

In the last few days I have come to a deeper understanding of what Jesus meant about being the salt of the Earth in the greatest sermon that was probably ever preached...the Sermon on the Mount. This understanding came from my toddler. I want you to know that I've not arrived at this understanding in a patient way. Jeremy built me a beautiful farmhouse table this January and my sweet mama bought me a decorative paper towel holder with a salt and pepper shaker attached. Super cute. What's NOT so cute is that JohnDavid LOVES to dump this salt out everywhere. It hit me yesterday that salt, as I was sweeping for what felt like 1852 time, no matter where it comes from, the beach (you know what I'm talking about...salt in every crack and crevice you never knew you had!) or the table, salt gets everywhere and almost impossible to clean up because you can't see it well...even if you vacuum I've discovered there will still be salt. I love salt, not to a bad degree but food without it is so bland. We, Christians, are here to display godliness and to flavor the world with the characteristics of God. Are you doing that? Am I doing that? Are we just dumped out on the floor instead of flavoring food? Or are we clumped up stuck together like moist salt unable to flavor the people we come in contact with? I'm challenged by the persistence of the salt and I realize that I can be useful or useless as a Christian in this world. I want to be a useful vessel for the Kingdom of Christ! What about you?? Choose today to be a useful vessel! Mirror Christ. Shine your light BRIGHTLY! It's interesting to me that salt is clear and hard to see. Is it hard for people to tell that you're a Christian? I'm asking myself that same question. We don't get seen by wearing Jesus t-shirts and bumper stickers...we get seen when we are loving people (flavoring) like Jesus did. No coincidence I'm writing this today on a day we vote. Christians in America rise up and flavor this nation with godliness; we need to demand our voice be heard.




No comments:

Post a Comment